Who Are Slingsby Gin?
Slingsby Gin is a brand of gin produced by the Spirit of Harrogate Ltd., a company based in the historic town of Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England. Named after William Slingsby, a 16th-century English adventurer who is said to have discovered the restorative properties of Harrogate’s Tewit Well, the gin brand aims to embody the spirit of the town and its spa history.
Slingsby Gin is known for using locally sourced botanicals, including Harrogate spring water, and traditional English ingredients like primrose, sweet cicely, nettle, and rhubarb. Their range of gins includes the Slingsby London Dry Gin, Slingsby Rhubarb Gin, Slingsby Gooseberry Gin, and Slingsby Marmalade Gin, among others. The brand has received numerous awards for its gins, making it a popular choice among gin enthusiasts.
How is Slingsby Ruhbarb Gin Made?
Slingsby Rhubarb Gin is made by infusing their signature London Dry Gin with Yorkshire rhubarb, which is known for its distinctive tart flavour. The process of making Slingsby Rhubarb Gin involves the following steps:
- Botanical selection – The base gin is made using a blend of botanicals, including juniper, coriander, angelica root, and citrus peels. Slingsby also uses locally sourced ingredients, such as primrose, sweet cicely, nettle, and rhubarb, to create a unique flavour profile that represents the spirit of Harrogate
- Distillation – The selected botanicals are steeped in a high-quality neutral grain spirit, which is then distilled in a copper pot still. This process extracts the essential oils and flavours from the botanicals, creating a concentrated and flavourful gin
- Rhubarb infusion – After the base gin is distilled, Yorkshire rhubarb is added to the mix. The rhubarb is often forced, meaning it’s grown in the dark to encourage a sweeter, more tender product. The gin is then infused with the rhubarb for a certain period, allowing the tartness and natural sweetness of the rhubarb to meld with the base gin’s flavours.
- Filtration and dilution – Once the rhubarb infusion is complete, the gin is filtered. It’s then diluted with Harrogate spring water to achieve the desired alcohol by volume (ABV) level
- Bottling – Finally, the Rhubarb Gin is bottled and labelled, ready to be enjoyed
The result is a vibrant, fruity gin with a balance of tartness from the rhubarb and the classic juniper-forward notes of the base gin. Slingsby Rhubarb Gin is often enjoyed in cocktails, with tonic water, or even on its own over ice.
What makes Slingsby Rhubarb Gin Special?
Slingsby Rhubarb Gin is special for several reasons:
- Unique flavour profile – The combination of Yorkshire rhubarb with Slingsby’s signature London Dry Gin creates a unique flavour profile. The tartness and natural sweetness of the rhubarb complement the classic gin botanicals, resulting in a well-balanced and refreshing taste
- Local ingredients – Slingsby Gin emphasizes the use of locally sourced ingredients, including the Yorkshire rhubarb and Harrogate spring water. This commitment to local resources not only supports the regional economy but also adds a distinctive character to the gin
- High-quality base gin – Slingsby Rhubarb Gin is made using Slingsby London Dry Gin, which is already a premium product crafted with carefully selected botanicals. The high-quality base gin ensures that the rhubarb infusion results in an exceptional final product
- Craftsmanship – The production process for Slingsby Rhubarb Gin involves careful attention to detail, from the selection of botanicals to the distillation and infusion process. This commitment to craftsmanship contributes to the gin’s superior taste and quality
- Versatility – The unique flavour of Slingsby Rhubarb Gin makes it a versatile spirit that can be enjoyed in various ways, such as in cocktails, with tonic water, or on its own over ice. This versatility adds to the gin’s appeal for consumers and mixologists alike.
- Awards and recognition – Slingsby Rhubarb Gin has received several awards, which is a testament to its quality and distinctive taste. This recognition has helped to establish the brand as a premium gin producer in the spirits industry
Slingsby Rhubarb Gin can be enjoyed in a number of ways. Here are some suggestions for how to drink it:
- Neat or on the rocks – Sip Slingsby Rhubarb Gin neat or over ice to savour its unique flavour and aroma. The tartness and natural sweetness of the rhubarb make it an enjoyable experience even without any mixers.
- Rhubarb Gin and Tonic – Mix Slingsby Rhubarb Gin with your favourite tonic water for a refreshing and fruity twist on a classic G&T. Fill a glass with ice, add a measure of the gin, and top up with tonic water. You can garnish with a slice of fresh lemon, lime, or even a stalk of rhubarb for added visual appeal.
- Rhubarb Gin Fizz – Create a fizzy, fruity cocktail by combining Slingsby Rhubarb Gin with lemon juice, simple syrup, and soda water. Shake the gin, lemon juice, and simple syrup with ice, then strain into a glass filled with ice. Top up with soda water and garnish with a lemon twist or a slice of rhubarb.
- Rhubarb Gin Sour – Mix Slingsby Rhubarb Gin with lemon juice, simple syrup, and an egg white to create a frothy, tangy sour. Dry shake (without ice) the gin, lemon juice, simple syrup, and egg white to emulsify the egg white. Then add ice and shake again. Strain into a glass and garnish with a dash of bitters or a slice of rhubarb.
- Rhubarb Collins – Combine Slingsby Rhubarb Gin with lemon juice, simple syrup, and soda water for a fruity spin on a Tom Collins. Shake the gin, lemon juice, and simple syrup with ice, then strain into a tall glass filled with ice. Top up with soda water and garnish with a lemon wheel or a rhubarb stalk.
Get creative and experiment with other mixers, fruits, and garnishes to find your perfect way to enjoy Slingsby Rhubarb Gin.
What to mix it with?
Slingsby Rhubarb Gin is a versatile spirit that can be mixed with various ingredients to create delightful cocktails and drinks. Here are some mixers and ingredients that pair well with Slingsby Rhubarb Gin:
- Tonic water – A classic choice for any gin, tonic water adds effervescence and a slightly bitter taste that complements the tartness of the rhubarb gin. Choose a high-quality tonic water for the best results
- Soda water – Mixing Slingsby Rhubarb Gin with soda water creates a light and refreshing drink, perfect for those who prefer a less sweet option than tonic water
- Ginger ale or ginger beer – The spicy, sweet flavour of ginger ale or ginger beer pairs well with the tartness of the rhubarb gin, creating a balanced and refreshing drink
- Lemon or lime juice – Citrus flavours, such as lemon or lime juice, complement the fruity notes of the rhubarb gin, adding a tangy touch to your cocktails
- Simple syrup – Adding a touch of simple syrup to your rhubarb gin cocktails can help to balance the tartness of the rhubarb and enhance the drink’s overall flavour profile
- Fresh fruit – Fresh fruits like raspberries, strawberries, or blackberries can be muddled or used as a garnish to add extra fruity notes to your rhubarb gin-based drinks
- Prosecco or sparkling wine – Combine Slingsby Rhubarb Gin with Prosecco or another sparkling wine for a bubbly, celebratory drink with a fruity twist
- Elderflower liqueur or cordial – The floral notes of elderflower pair beautifully with the tart rhubarb gin, creating a fragrant and sophisticated cocktail
- Apple juice – The sweetness and tartness of apple juice can complement the rhubarb gin’s flavour, creating a fruity and balanced drink
How should I store Slingsby Rhubarb Gin?
To maintain the quality and flavour of your Slingsby Rhubarb Gin, follow these storage guidelines:
- Keep it in a cool, dark place – Store your gin away from direct sunlight and heat sources to prevent the flavours and aromas from deteriorating. A cupboard or a liquor cabinet would be ideal.
- Store upright – Always store your gin bottles in an upright position to minimize the contact between the spirit and the bottle cap or cork. This reduces the risk of the cap or cork affecting the gin’s taste over time.
- Tightly seal the bottle – Ensure the bottle cap or cork is tightly sealed to prevent evaporation and oxidation. An airtight seal also helps to keep out any contaminants that may affect the taste of the gin.
- Avoid temperature fluctuations – Try to maintain a consistent temperature in the storage area. Frequent temperature changes can cause the spirit to expand and contract, which may affect its flavour.
- Store opened bottles carefully – Once you’ve opened a bottle of gin, it’s best to consume it within a reasonable timeframe. Although gin has a relatively long shelf life due to its high alcohol content, the flavours may start to fade over time once the bottle is opened. To preserve the quality of an opened bottle, keep it tightly sealed and follow the same storage guidelines mentioned above.
Following these storage tips, you can help to preserve the quality and taste of your Slingsby Rhubarb Gin, ensuring that you can enjoy its unique flavour longer.
What percentage is Slingsby Rhubarb Gin?
Slingsby Rhubarb Gin has an alcohol by volume (ABV) of 40%. This is a common strength for many gins, including their London Dry Gin. The ABV indicates the amount of alcohol present in the gin, with 40% representing 40% alcohol content and 60% non-alcoholic components like water, botanicals, and flavourings. Always remember to drink responsibly and enjoy Slingsby Rhubarb Gin in moderation.