About Patron Silver
Patrón Silver is a type of premium tequila made from 100% Weber Blue Agave, known for its smooth and versatile flavour. The production process of Patrón Silver combines traditional and modern techniques to ensure the highest quality. As Patron Tequila UK stockists, we are proud to be able to offer patron silver tequila 70cl at a competitive price.
How it’s made
Here’s an overview of the key steps involved in making Patrón Silver:
- Harvesting – The Weber Blue Agave plants used for Patrón Silver are grown in the highlands of Jalisco, Mexico. These plants are carefully tended for 6-8 years before they reach maturity and are ready to be harvested.
- Cooking – Once harvested, the agave plants are trimmed, and their leaves are removed, leaving the piña (the heart of the agave). The piñas are then slow-roasted in traditional brick ovens (or ‘hornos’) for about 79 hours. This process helps convert the complex carbohydrates in the agave into fermentable sugars, releasing the natural sweetness and distinctive flavours.
- Crushing – After cooking, the roasted agave piñas are crushed to extract their juice. Patrón uses a traditional method called the tahona process, which involves crushing the piñas with a large volcanic stone wheel. This helps to release the juices and fibers from the roasted agave.
- Fermentation – The extracted agave juice, along with some crushed agave fibers, is placed in wooden or stainless steel tanks and mixed with Patrón’s proprietary yeast strain. The mixture ferments for about three days, during which the yeast converts the sugars into alcohol.
- Distillation – The fermented agave juice is then distilled twice in copper pot stills to purify and concentrate the alcohol. The first distillation, called the ‘ordinario’, removes impurities and results in a liquid with around 20-25% alcohol. The second distillation, called rectification, further refines the tequila and brings the alcohol level up to around 55-60%.
- Filtration and blending – After distillation, the tequila is filtered to remove any remaining impurities. It is then carefully blended with water to achieve the desired alcohol content, typically around 40% for Patrón Silver.
- Bottling – Finally, the tequila is bottled in the iconic hand-numbered square Patrón bottles with cork stoppers. As Patrón Silver is an unaged tequila, there is no barrel ageing process involved before bottling.
Throughout the entire production process, Patrón’s master distiller closely monitors and maintains strict quality control to ensure the final product meets the brand’s high standards.
How does Patron Silver Tequila taste?
It has a clear appearance and a delicate, slightly sweet aroma. Here are some tasting notes to describe the flavour and characteristics of Patrón Silver:
- Aroma – On the nose, Patrón Silver has a gentle fragrance of cooked agave, with hints of citrus, floral, and earthy notes. Some people might also detect a subtle sweetness and a mild alcohol scent.
- Taste – The palate of Patrón Silver is smooth and clean, featuring the natural sweetness of cooked agave. It is complemented by mild flavours of citrus, pepper, and a light touch of herbal and earthy tones. The taste is generally considered to be crisp, fresh, and well-rounded.
- Finish – Patrón Silver has a medium-length finish, leaving a pleasant warmth and a lingering aftertaste of agave and subtle pepper notes.
How to drink Patron Silver?
Patrón Silver can be enjoyed neat, on the rocks, or mixed in various cocktails. Its smooth, clean taste and delicate flavours make it extremely popular. But let’s dive a bit deeper:
- Neat – Enjoy Patrón Silver in a tequila glass or a small tumbler at room temperature. This allows you to appreciate the smooth, clean flavour & delicate aroma without any dilution or chilling
- On the rocks – Pour Patrón Silver over ice in a lowball glass to enjoy it chilled. The ice will slowly dilute the tequila, opening up new flavour nuances and providing a refreshing experience
- Tequila shots – For a more traditional approach, serve Patrón Silver as a shot with salt and a slice of lime. Lick some salt off the back of your hand, take the shot & then bite into the lime slice to enhance the taste experience
- In cocktails – Patrón Silver’s smooth and well-balanced flavour makes it an excellent choice for mixing in cocktails.
Some popular cocktails featuring silver tequila include:
- Margarita – Combine tequila, lime juice & orange liqueur (such as Triple Sec or Cointreau) in a shaker with ice. Shake well and strain into a salt-rimmed glass filled with ice
- Paloma – Mix tequila with grapefruit soda (such as Fresca or Squirt) and pour over ice in a tall glass. Garnish with a lime wedge
- Tequila Sunrise – In a highball glass filled with ice, pour tequila and orange juice. Slowly pour grenadine syrup down the side of the glass so it settles at the bottom, creating a sunrise effect. Garnish with an orange slice and a cherry
These are just a few examples of how to enjoy Patrón Silver, and there are many other creative cocktails and serving suggestions to explore.
Patrón Silver has received numerous accolades and awards in various spirits competitions and industry events throughout the years. Some notable awards and recognitions include:
- San Francisco World Spirits Competition – Double Gold Medal (2005, 2008, 2011) and Gold Medal (2006, 2010)
- Spirits of Mexico Competition – Gold Medal (2009, 2011)
- International Wine & Spirit Competition (IWSC) – Silver Medal (2008, 2010, 2011, 2012)
- Ultimate Spirits Challenge Finalist (2011)
- Beverage Testing Institute (BTI) Gold Medal (2011)
Should Patron Silver be refrigerated?
There is no need to refrigerate Patrón Silver. Tequila is a distilled spirit with a high alcohol content, which makes it resistant to spoilage and microbial growth. Storing tequila at room temperature, away from direct sunlight and heat sources, is the best way to preserve its quality.
However, if you prefer to enjoy your Patrón Silver chilled, you can refrigerate it before serving. Chilling tequila can slightly alter its flavour profile by muting some of the alcohol notes and enhancing its smoothness.
When storing your tequila, make sure the bottle is tightly sealed with its original cap or cork to prevent evaporation and oxidation, which could affect the flavour over time. If stored properly, an opened bottle of tequila can last for several years without significant changes in taste or quality.
There are several varieties of Patrón Tequila, including:
- Patrón Silver – sometimes called Silver Patron – A clear, unaged tequila known for its smoothness and versatility. It’s often used in cocktails or sipped neat
- Patrón Reposado – Aged in oak barrels for a minimum of two months, this tequila has a light amber colour and a more complex flavour profile compared to Patrón Silver
- Patrón Añejo – Aged for a minimum of 12 months in oak barrels, this tequila has a deep amber colour and a rich, full-bodied flavour profile
- Patrón Extra Añejo – Aged for a minimum of three years in oak barrels, this tequila offers a darker amber colour and a complex, sophisticated taste
- Patrón Citrónge – A line of premium liqueurs made from high-quality tequila infused with various citrus flavours, such as orange, lime & pineapple
Patrón Tequila has gained a reputation as a premium spirit and has become popular in upscale bars and restaurants around the world. Its iconic square bottle with a hand-numbered label and a cork stopper is easily recognizable and adds to its image as a luxury product.