This whiskey is fantastic, even my dad loves it! The initial aroma is refreshingly piney, like spruce needles and a hint of sauna. On the other side, there's a delightful sweetness reminiscent of white gummy bears. It's a perfectly balanced drink, and I'll definitely be ordering another big bottle. The second sniff reveals notes of Nashi pear, which adds an exquisite touch to this already fine whiskey.
Fercullen 18-Year-Old Single Malt has been expertly distilled and set aside to mature in bourbon barrels by one of Ireland’s most accomplished Master Distillers Noel Sweeney.
This bottle comes with a supreme presentation box, complete with a booklet on the distillery. The ultimate gift.
- Bottle Size
- 18 Years
Who makes Fercullen Whiskey?
Fercullen Irish Whiskey is a premium Irish whiskey brand that was launched in 2018. The brand is owned by the Powerscourt Distillery, which is located in County Wicklow, Ireland. The Powerscourt Distillery is one of only a few operating distilleries in Ireland. At full capacity, the distillery has the potential to distil over 3 million bottles of whiskey per year or lay down the equivalent of 40 barrels of spirit per day.
About the Whiskey
Fercullen Irish Whiskey is made using a blend of malted and unmalted barley that is triple-distilled in copper pot stills. The whiskey is then aged in a combination of ex-bourbon barrels and ex-wine casks to impart a rich and complex flavour profile.
The Fercullen range includes several different expressions, including a 10-year-old single grain whiskey, a 14-year-old single malt whiskey, and a limited edition 18-year-old single malt whiskey. Each expression has its own unique flavour profile, but all are characterized by their smoothness and balance.
Fercullen Irish Whiskey has received numerous accolades since its launch, including a gold medal at the International Spirits Challenge in 2019. The brand is popular with whiskey connoisseurs around the world and is considered one of the top Irish whiskey brands on the market today.
What distinguishes Fercullen from other 18 year old single malts?
Fercullen is a premium brand of single malt, made in the traditional Scottish style. The whiskey is aged for 18 years in oak sherry casks, giving the whiskey a unique flavour profile with notes of moss, lemon, honey, toffee, and figs. The long ageing process results in a more complex flavour and smoother finish. In addition, Fercullen uses water from a unique, private source in Scotland to make the whiskey. This is believed to impart a special character to the whiskey, making it distinct from other 18-year-old single malts.
How to drink
The rich fruits and spices will bring out the best in your Stout or Porter pairing.
What can I eat alongside Fercullen 18 Year Old Whiskey?
If you’re after a snack, try bite-sized chunks of Irish Soda bread with butter & Goat’s cheese. It’ll go really well with Oysters.
How does it Taste?
It has a nose of Honey, vanilla, sweet malty, spice, almonds, cinnamon, ripe fruits, rich cherries, plums and oak wood. It has a smooth palate, offering layer upon layer of sweet, creamy malt, vanilla, ripe fruits, syrupy caramel, cacao sweet spice and crisp oak. The finish is malty to start with a long-lasting sweet spice of nutmeg & malt with a fruity finish.
Fun facts about Fercullen Irish Whiskey:
- What does Fercullen mean? Fercullen is a surname of Irish origin. It is derived from the Gaelic word Fergus (which means man of force or strength). Traditionally, the name was given by parents as a reminder of the strength they hoped their child would one day attain.
- Fercullen Whiskey is distilled by a family-owned distillery in the heart of the West of Ireland
- The distillery has been producing Irish whiskey since 1779, making it one of the oldest Irish whiskey brands in existence
- Due to its longevity, Fercullen Whiskey is often referred to as ‘Old Bushmills’, in reference to the much older, but similar whiskey from Northern Ireland
- The brand is committed to producing high-quality whiskeys, and all of their spirits mature for a minimum of 10 years
- The Fercullen distillery holds a ‘Friends of Fercullen’ program, where subscribers receive two bottles of whiskey each year